For the first time in franchise history, the Flyers have won back-to-back games to start a season. They did so against two playoff teams from last year. They did so by winning two road games. They did so with over 110 minutes of shutout hockey from former hockey exile, goaltender Ray Emery.
Here are my “Quick Hits” From tonight’s game:
- JVR has three points (all assists) in his first two career NHL games. Not a bad start.
- Emery has been stellar and is the main reason the Flyers are 2-0.
- Claude Giroux tallied his first point of the season tonight on a Darroll Powe third period goal.
- Flyers were 0-3 on the Powerplay, including giving up a shorty to Jamie Langenbrunner on a 4:00 man advantage in the third.
- The Flyers gave up only one short-handed goal last year. The scorer? Current Flyer Blair Betts.
- The Flyers outshot their opponent for the second straight night, 27-26.
- The Devils are an atrocious hockey team and will battle with the Islanders for the Atlantic’s cellar this season
- Ian Laperriere tallied his first point as a Flyer – a goal – in the second period. Great start to his Flyers career for Lappy.
- 5 goals on 27 shots for Marty Brodeur. Yes, the Hall of Fame bound Marty Brodeur.
- By the Flyers’ standards, a relatively disciplined night. Only 5 penalties for the Orange and Black.
- Chris Pronger once again lead the Flyers with 25:31 played tonight. Once again, does this surprise anybody? Likely not.